Jan 20, 2011

Same situation, different day

So much for getting excited to watch the Leafs play after a three day break - one of their longest this season.  One more day and I would of went into withdrawal.  The Leafs losing 7-0 against the New York Rangers last night was pretty sad but it’s not like I’m shocked. 

I’ve come to accept the fact that the Leafs aren’t a good team.  Maybe that’s why I’m not as frustrated or bothered by our loss compared to the beginning of the season. I was practically a mess back then.  But after loss after loss, my expectations for them have plummeted greatly and I actually expect them to lose every game they play from now on.  Yes, even to the New Jersey Devils and the Edmonton Oilers.  I hate to admit it, but that’s the reality.  You can’t expect fans to still have hopes for this team when they’ve already lost more than fifty percent of their games played so far.

They were downright terrible last night.  It’s like they didn’t even show up for the game.  Not one player stood out.  We were lucky to see a fight from Luke Schenn which wasn’t even a real fight if you ask me. The first period was a joke, as the Leafs let in three goals on twelve shots. After the second, I suggested to my dad that for every turnover the Leafs create, we take a shot.  Do you know how drunk we would of been if we actually did that?  Not that I’m surprised though, because they are known for having one of the highest turnover rates in the NHL right now.  Do you sense the bitterness in this entry yet?

One big story that came out of this game was not the horrible loss to NYR, but the goalie situation.  So Wilson decides to start the Monster in net.  I thought that was a good move since he hasn’t played since December 2010 and he needs to get back into the swing of things.  But boy was I wrong.  Getting pulled in the first and then starting again in the second screamed inconsistency with the coaching staff and the goalies they have (Giguere, Gustavsson, Reimer).  I don’t know what happened to Gustavsson but his mind was definitely somewhere else.  However, I’m not completely throwing him out of the goalie line-up just yet.  I’m glad Wilson gave him a chance to start again in the second but should of been pulled after letting in the fifth goal. He was a big factor in the team’s loss (aside from all the turnovers and Gaborik’s four goals).

Speaking of Gaborik, I’m no NYR fan but congrats to him for scoring four goals in one game.  Pretty impressive since he scored five in 2007.  But that’s besides the point.

The bottom line is that the Leafs will not make the playoffs this year.  I don’t know why people thought they might after their 4-1 road trip record they had in the new year.  It’s the Leafs we’re talking about here.  They don’t win more than three or four games straight.  Plus it’s hard to catch up to Montreal in the East right now because the Leafs would have to win almost all their games left to play.  And we all know that’s impossible. 

There’s no way of saving this team anymore.  I love the Leafs, don’t get me wrong.  I bleed blue and white, literally.  But I’m basing everything from past games this season.  I don’t think anyone knows what to do with this team. They’re a mess.  Our only hope right now lies in the hands of our GM, Brian Burke, with three weeks until the trade deadline.  Maybe he will wow us and make a blockbuster trade like he did with Calgary last summer.  Except this time it would actually benefit the team.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree! It's hard to watch the Leafs play. Staying loyal is touch when there are great teams out there.

    ReplyDelete

Post something. Even if you don't agree. After all, that's what sports is all about.